Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor
Eric J. Hesse, Director
Gold Star Parent Annuity Program
The Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit authorizes an annuity payment of up to $500 per Gold Star parent of a deceased veteran. Applicants approved for the Gold Star Annuity Payment are required to verify eligibility on a yearly basis. To be eligible, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be a Gold Star Parent (as defined in 10 USC 1126);
- Applicant must be a New York State resident; and
- Applicant’s income must be at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level as determined by the applicant’s latest federal income tax return or an affirmation that certifies that applicant was not required to file a federal income tax return.
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted at anytime. Payments will be authorized and disbursed in semi-annual installments (March and September). The following documentation is required to process a Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit:
- Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit Application form: GoldStarAnnuityApplication.pdf
- Evidence of military service of the deceased veteran. Acceptable evidence includes a DD Form 1300 (Report of Casualty); or a copy of the telegram from the U.S. Department of Defense advising the parent of his or her loss.
- A copy of the applicant’s previous year federal income tax return (for income eligibility verification), or an affirmation that certifies that the applicant was not required to file a federal income tax return.
- A proof of New York State residency. Acceptable evidence includes a copy of the applicant’s property tax bill or utility bill.
Mail the completed application and supporting documentation to:
New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs
Attn: Gold Star Annuity Program
2 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12223-1551
For additional assistance, schedule an appointment with a New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs (NYS DVA) Benefits Counselor. Call the DVA at 1.888.838,7697, or contact the DVA by email.