Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor
Eric J. Hesse, Director
Property Tax Exemptions For Veterans
There are three different property tax exemptions available to Veterans who have served in the United States Armed Forces. The exemption applies to county, city, town, and village taxes. Exemptions other than the Cold War Exemption may apply to school district taxes.
Veterans can receive one of the three following exemptions:
1. Alternative Veterans’ Exemption
- Available only on residential property of a Veteran who has served during a designated time of war or received an expeditionary medal
- Currently available in over 95 percent of the county, city, town, and village taxing jurisdictions across the state. The remainder of these jurisdictions may choose to offer this exemption in the future
- Veteran applicants should check with the assessor or clerk in the municipalities in which they reside to see whether the Alternative Veterans’ Exemption is offered
- Extra tax reductions available for combat and United States Department of Veterans Affairs service-connected disabilities
- May be available for school district taxes. School districts must elect to offer the exemption
2. Cold War Veterans’ Exemption
- Available only on residential property of a Veteran who served during the Cold War period
- Counties, cities, towns, and villages have the option to offer this exemption to qualified Veterans
- Extra tax reductions available for United States Department of Veterans Affairs service-connected disabilities
- Check with your assessor or clerk to see whether the Cold war Veterans’ exemption is offered
3. Eligible Funds Exemption
- Provides a partial exemption
- Applies to property that a Veteran or certain other designated person purchases. Such owners must purchase the property with pension, bonus, or insurance monies
- May be available for school district and other taxes
Veterans should submit an amended application if the Veteran’s United States Department of Veterans Affairs service-connected disability percentage changes.
Veterans may also be eligible for other exemptions based on income and disability.
How to Request an Exemption
Eligible Veterans must submit the initial exemption application form to the assessor. There is a deadline for filing. For additional details, including filing deadlines and applications, please contact your local tax assessor's office.
Acceptable Military Records
Please reference the following link for a listing of documents that may be used to prove discharge under honorable conditions:
If you would like to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for as a Veteran, servicemember, or as a family member of a Veteran or servicemember, please call the New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs Help Line at 1.888.838.7697 (VETSNYS), where you may also schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors.